Re: [Spridgets] Toe-in question.. (sotra wheel loading)

To: spridgets@autox.team.net, DAVID GROPPER <kk7ss@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Toe-in question.. (sotra wheel loading)
From: fastvee <fastvee@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2010 13:17:30 -0800 (PST)
You didn't mention if the Alfa was a race or street car? I don't know why the
Alfa was preloaded to set toe because it is not loaded that way when you are
running down the road, and it is directional stability that is most important.
Perhaps it had some quirky geometry that needed that help in braking. Every
thing is a compromise. If we are talking about a race car ,the object is going
fast and you want to have optimum toe going down the straights. If toe changes
during braking it doesn't matter as much because you are slowing down anyway.
You sometimes want to try different toe settings to improve turn in though,
and that is especially true if you use a lot of camber. You look for the best
compromises for the package you're using, and sometimes that could be toe out.
For example, you might learn that using as much as 3/16" toe out can improve
turn in without hurting straight line speed. You may compromise directional
stability and I wouldn't recommend
 it for driving on the streets.
John
Fogelsville, PA