[Spridgets] Speedwell redo

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Speedwell redo
From: Frank <spritenut@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 2010 21:23:41 -0500
I am in the process of re-restoring or should I say "refreshing" my 59
Speedwell clone Sprite.
I never did like the Dzus fasteners that held the bonnet latched so I am
adapting Spitfire bonnet latches to it.
They are going to work fine but cutting the slot and making a back plate
took a bit of time.
I also took away the rear deck seams since I had some rust bubbles along
them, not anymore.
After I did Tiffany's Lady Bug with no seams, I like the look.
I am rebuilding the engine too, just new rings and bearings to freshen
it up.
It was rebuilt in 1998 originally so it is time.
New carpets and a pair of MKII Sprite seats just to comfort my aging
back for those long drives (NJ to Elkhart Lake, WI)
I also wasn't expecting the rust under the carpets on the inside of the
floors, most of the paint was flaking off so that had to be wire wheeled
off, treated and will get some etch primer and a fresh coat of paint
along with the rest of the car.
I needed to tidy up the wires behind the dash with 10 or 11 gauges and 9
or 10 toggle switches, cruise control, 4 way flashers, and a check smoke
gauge, it was a mess.
All tidy now but still laying on the work bench along with a semi
assembled engine waiting on rings and seals for the timing belt set up.
So next week when this one is finished,   ;)
 I'll bring in the $50 Midget and see just how cheap, I mean
economically I can make a Midget out of just a body shell.
All I think I need are new hydraulics, I should have everything else.
And after that one, I have a Bugeye that needs everything including a
new home.
I have too many cars!

--
Frank Clarici