[Spridgets] No LBC - Honda Dealer Service Ripoff

To: Spridget <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] No LBC - Honda Dealer Service Ripoff
From: "rrengineer @dslextreme.com" <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Apr 2010 18:56:30 -0700
Just had the major service done on my 2004 Accord right after i made the
last payment on it.  I want it to stay running well for a while so i can
feel what it's like to NOT make payments on something for my regular
everyday car for a while.  I asked the dealer while I was there waht was
included in the service and was told brake fluid, coolant, transmission oil
(I have a 5 speed) filters, engine oil would all be changed with some things
like the radiator being flushed out, etc.  What I did not hear was anything
about changing spark plugs.  I asked why and was told it was not included.
Well, the car has gone 118,000 miles, so it's probably about time for it's
first spark plug change,  I asked how much for this service.  I was told
$170.00!  I asked what the Hell costs that much for a spark plug change.  I
was told the plugs were Iridium and cost $23.95 each.  That's $95.80 for the
plugs plus $7.66 tax and that makes it over 66 bucks for labor.  Needless to
say I said no thanks.  My Sprite has taught me a few things about
maintenance and changing plugs was one of the first things any of us learn
to do.  I went out and bought the plugs on line for $36 for 4 plugs plus
shipping and I will change them myself for a total savings of $130!  Looks
like I am going to start getting my hands dirty under the hood of my Accord
more often.
Mike MacLean
60 Sprite
56 BN2