Re: [Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question

To: Heard Saxon <heard@datatrontech.net>, Spridgets List
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Iridium Plug Question
From: David Booker <tncarnut1@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 15:29:31 -0700 (PDT)
Heard Saxon: "So David, what about the other vehicles?  Similar results?"
Let's see - Here is everything else that I swapped the iridium plugs into that
summer:

The 2.2L Subaru Legacy wagon was mostly driven by my wife, so I was
only able to do the mpg once in a while (she couldn't be bothered).  Add to
that the fact that i didn't drive it much so really, so I don't remember a
difference there.  I didn't have much of a reference for comparison though.
So...don't know here.

The faithful & reliable 2.4L Nissan pickup was also
definitely not a performance vehicle so no differences would necessarily have
been apparent. The real issue here is that it was not used in a consistent
manner.  So any differences in mpg figures were probably due to differences in
where it was driven and what it was hauling at the time.  So...No way to tell.
I didn't ride my wife's Honda 250 Rebel unless I had just done some work on it
and needed to do a test ride.  But maybe it would now do 53mph instead of the
previous 52 (ha-ha).  They are really good starter bikes and generally
reliable just little and slow.  BTW, an average-sized guy in black leathers
and helmet on a teeny Red Honda tends to generate giggles rather than more
desirable responses from the more attractive of the nearby vehicle occupants -
more reason not to ride it.

I never figure the mileage on the Sportster
because I don't really care. I know that at somewhere around 100 to 110 miles
on the trip odometer there will be a stumble, which prompts me to reach under
the left side of the tank and flip the lever to reserve. At this point I start
looking for more gas. I have I believe a 3.2 gallon tank, but don't know if
that includes whatever is in the reserve portion of the tank.  I did feel that
the plugs woke the bike up a bit, though. Again, was it wishful thinking? I
don't know. But it did seem to have a bit more urgency under acceleration.

So
really, the Miata was the only place I got noticable documented differences.
By the way, somebody said that these plugs are not recommended for carbed
Harleys. I never had any trouble with mine - What is the reasoning behind
that? Should I change them out? I've pulled them to inspect on occassion and
never found any evidence of fouling.

Thanks,
David Booker
Long Island