[Spridgets] Daily driver duty

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <jessmd1@comcast.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] Daily driver duty
From: Mike Eldred <redscirocco@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2010 12:41:12 -0400
There's nothing wrong with pressing your 50+ year-old car into service as a
daily driver - provided it's generally up to the task.

I drive my 1954 MG TF 1250 to work most days (not on rainy, snowy, or icy
days), and my commute is about as long as yours.  My commute is along quiet
country roads, my car cruises comfortably at 55-60 MPH, and I don't have a
5-speed conversion.  Personally, I don't think that's something you need for a
five mile twice-daily drive, unless most of it is on multi-lane urban or
suburban highway where you need sustained speeds of 65 MPH or greater to avoid
being run down by mad SUV drivers.  Otherwise, your 1275 with and 4-speed
should be perfectly adequate for daily use.

As for RHD, I would think it safe to assume that a British sports car with RHD
would appeal to some potential buyers as a little more "authentic."
Personally, I'm planning to retire in a RHD country, so I'd be inclined to
think of a RHD car as something I could take with me.

As you *may* have noticed, the problem with a RHD car in a LHD country is the
reduced visibility when overtaking, driving on righthand bends, and in
righthand turns.  If you find these situations bothersome or unsafe, it might
be worth converting to LHD.  If you're happy enough driving it as-is, I
wouldn't bother with the time and expense of converting it.  I'd keep the
"cool factor" of RHD.  Plus, it's fun to watch people's faces when they get in
on the wrong side.  Or the first time they're going down the road sitting in
the "driver's side."

Enjoy it!

-Mike Eldred

Wilmington, VT

'54 MG TF

'73 Midget

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
Hotmail.
http://www.windowslive.com/campaign/thenewbusy?tile=multiaccount&ocid=PID2832
6::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:WM_HMP:042010_4

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums