Re: [Spridgets] Starters, Solenoids, "good" parts, etc.

To: Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Starters, Solenoids, "good" parts, etc.
From: David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 21:49:43 -0500
> NASA
> recently announced they will no longer go to low bidder who (claims to) meets
> spec and will shop value instead. So....on a recent bid, you had to have your
> initial bid be within 1.5% of the lowest bid to be asked to submit a best and
> final. So, as you know, most of the world postures about value and then shops
> price.

I work for a municipality and "low bid" is the bane of our existence.
Dilbert nailed it pretty good on 12/19/2009
http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/2009-12-19/

Fortunately, most of the stuff I have to get falls into the "three
quote" category wherein you simply have to prove that there were two
other places that would have charged you more for comparable
equipment. I guess it makes sense to someone...

A friend of mine used to work for a  Jewish old folks home (or
whatever the PC terminology is supposed to be). He told me that their
system was to open the bids and immediately discard the high bid and
the low bid and then look at what was left. In my limited experience,
the low bid as frequently as not represents someone who did not
understand the question.
David L

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75