[Spridgets] '59 sprite engine tuning data

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] '59 sprite engine tuning data
From: Richard Kleihorst <richard@kleihorst.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 04:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hi All,

I am trying to get my new obsession through testing here to get it road legal.
Main challenges are the front shock absorbers, the DPO work on the front
brakes and the emission.
During the initial tests the emission showed a CO rating of 9.5% which is way
too high.

At home, I was able to set it to 1.5%, reasonably smooth running at around
850rpm.
It is a 948cc dual H1 setup, K&N filters, with a skimmed head (1mm off) and a
fast road Kent camshaft.
Although the running is pretty regular, only a little bit of "galoping" sound
at the back,
feeling from the seat the car shakes at this idle speed. I achieved a good
balancing between the carbs but noted that the front carb gives me more
feedback with the mixture control screw than the rear carb.

What I am missing in the owners manual and factory manual are data for idle
speed
and also ignition advance at idle speed.
Does anyone has good numbers for these and the emission figure I should be
looking at?

I am also missing the pointers on the chaincover, or are they usually hiding
from the timing light? The notch is there (I don't need to get out the
Dremel)

Should I bring the car back to testing like this (with good CO figures,
running smoothly but a bit shaking?) and set it better afterwards?

On the front brakes side the DPO mounted the springs at the outer side and you
can guess what happened to the shoes after a while...
For the front shocks, the intial test showed that they are slightly under the
damping limit. Taking  a shortcut I ordered new ones from Angloparts.

Richard, waiting to be roadworthy.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive