Re: [Spridgets] Bearing

To: Shop at Just Brits <shop@justbrits.com>, Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Bearing
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2010 20:31:03 -0500
I've built and rebuilt a lot of engines, and never put oil on the front
or back of the bearing.  Instead we use white lubriplate grease on the
inside (front) of the bearing.  My dad's garage has been in business
over 50 years and has always done it that way.  I can guarantee you that
whether you put oil on the back of the bearing or not, it WILL get in
there and probably get in there quickly.  So for 99.99% of the engine's
life there WILL be oil in there.

>  << I would think the extra thickness would be problematic as well. >>
>
> Peter is correct.  Think about it<G>;  if the back of each shell has
> oil on
> it [and prolly NOT the same across the board ] then the clearances ARE
> changed to a 'closer' number.
>
> "might" be OK, but then again ..............!!
>
> TOO tight is not good !!

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive