[Spridgets] what does a shortblock weigh?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: [Spridgets] what does a shortblock weigh?
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 11:20:18 -0600
I need to pull the engine out of my little car.  The head is off, and I
intend to pull the block separate from the transmission.  Approximately
how much does the block/pistons/cam/crank/pan/waterpump weigh?

I'm doing this in my garage so I'm going to build a rigging to do the
job.  I had the idea that I could use a block and tackle to do the
lifting.  I haven't checked to see what I can get from tool rental
places but I can buy a 1 ton chain hoist from HarborFreight for $45, and
they have a rope hoist with 500# capacity for $7.  This would be a
pretty cheap job if the rope hoist would work.  I'm guessing that the
complete shortblock is around 150#.  Almost seems like I could reach in
there and pull it out by hand.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive