Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: what does a shortblock weigh?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Fwd: Re: what does a shortblock weigh?
From: BJNoSHOV8 <bjshov8@tx.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2010 16:29:36 -0600
I don't have my wood design books at home but I think a 1/4" diameter
lag bolt is good for several hundred pounds of pullout.  If I do this I
will use 4 of them.  I'm a licensed professional engineer so I can
figure out the safe load capacity of this type of connection.

I installed a ceiling fan in my old house many years ago.  This was one
of the 50 pound Hunter fans so I wanted to make sure it was properly
attached.  The ceiling in our den had fake wood beams and I didn't want
to connect directly to them.  I found where the actual roof joist went
over the fake beam, and drilled a hole in the bottom of the fake beam so
I could reach the real joist.  I used a long drill bit to drill a pilot
hole in the rafter.  I bought a lag bolt that has lag bolt threads on
one end and 1/4-20 machine threads on the other end, and joined it to a
piece of 1/4" threaded rod with a sleeve nut.  I screwed this long bolt
all the way up into the rafter.  On the bottom end of the threaded rod I
had formed it into a hook to match the hardware normally used for that
fan model.  After I put the long J-bolt in I hooked my screwdriver
through the hook and picked up my weight with it.  I figured if it would
hold my 175 pounds it would hold the 50 pound fan.

> I don't agree. Lag bolts pulling straight down are  relying on the
> threads that's less than 1'8" bearing pulling to hold up to 300 lbs
> and the strain of pushing it sideways. Not a good idea. Not the same
> as holding the top of a rafter, or better bridging 3 floor joists.

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums