Re: [Spridgets] Any thoughts on this eBay Bugeye?

To: Spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>, Linda Grunthaner
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Any thoughts on this eBay Bugeye?
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 12:44:04 -0800 (PST)
Or as my friend Reid said when I showed him a picture, "you can almost hear
the "Deliverance" banjo in the background."

--- On Wed, 3/2/11, fastvee

<spridgets@autox.team.net>, "Linda Grunthaner" <grunthaner@gmail.com>
> Date:
Wednesday, March 2, 2011, 1:23 PM
> Hi Lin,
> I think the suspension is rather
crude, and does not
> following good design
> practice. On the front
suspension having an upper A-arm is
> a good idea, but
> even if the two
mounting tabs are 1/4" they don't seem to
> provide much
> resistance to
caster change during braking. The mounting
> tab for the front
> anti-sway bar
is probably flexing considerably, which may
> be why it looks like
> it is
bent while the suspension is in droop. There isn't
> enough detail shown
critique it further, but the tube shock mounting could
> be another problem

area. The rear suspension looks like it was not designed to
> go around
corners
> because the spring base is so narrow, and the shocks are
> mounted
vertically as
> to provide little resistance to chassis roll. The spring

rate and damping
> would be digressive and unresponsive to tuning adjustments.
> The upper shock
> mounts are pieces of angle iron without gussets which
means
> lots of flexing.
> We can't tell what the geometry would be as you
can't
>  see the upper links. The springs would need to be stiffer
> than
needed due to
> the shock mounting and still not provide a stable platform.

About the only
> thing I like are the lower links. It is another way to

provide longitudinal
> and lateral axle location with minimal weight and
lowers
> the roll center, but
> may be a bad match for the rest of this
suspension. A low