[Spridgets] Rubber Mats

Subject: [Spridgets] Rubber Mats
From: bertshirey at zoominternet.net (Bert Shirey)
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 11:20:20 -0500
 Linda and all--

      Let me get off the bearings a moment. Maybe contribute something. I
haven`t been following this thread all along, but regarding the rubber mat
question, Biff Jones who has from time to time posted here has a MK II Sprite
with less than 2K miles! Believe me. I`ve seen it at our MGs of Baltimore
Rocks show. Biff`s car is black with red rubber mats. I`m not certain but I
think it is a 61.

    I`ve misplaced his contact information.

    Most people back in the day tossed the flimsy rubber mats, went to MG
Mitten or Pep Boys and bought carpet.My first Bugeye was three years old and
had carpet that was already well worn.

    The lady I got my current Bug from bought it new. She said she tossed the
mats and couldn`t see why I would want them.

    Years ago I found a NOS tranny mat for the Bugeye. It was green. The mat.
Bug is white. I understand most of the survivors are green.

     Rubber supposedly can`t be reliably dyed, but I found a coating used for
rubber boats, Zodiacs,  that permanently bonds to the rubber. The stuff was
expensive and tricky to apply but looks like it did the job. So my mat is now
black. For what it`s worth because I don`t put it in the car.

     The carpet looks better.

Bert Shirey