[Spridgets] No LBC....PC speed

Subject: [Spridgets] No LBC....PC speed
From: billyzoom at billyzoom.com (Billy Zoom)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 09:15:02 -0800
In our area, the phone company doesn't have the necessary infrastructure to
support high speed internet. That rules out anything that comes through a
phone line. The fastest available connection is a cable modem, which means
Time Warner. Typical download speed is between 20 and 30 Mbit/s.
I also have a Verizon USB modem on my laptop, which works pretty well every
place in the country except for Chapel Hill NC, and in my shop here on Main
St. in Orange. A few years ago, I purchased an amplifier and 3 different
antennas, but they haven't helped so far. The 3 antennas were necessary
because Verizon refused to tell my what frequency band they use, or where
the nearest cell tower was.
Because their software doesn't include any kind of real-time signal strength
indicator, aiming the antennas requires many hours of trial and error.
Currently, the average signal strength ranges from -96db  to  -126db.
I'm told -80db is the minimum for full bandwidth. On a good day, download
approaches 1 Mbit/s.  On a bad day, I can't even load the speed test site.
BZ