[Spridgets] BMC 948 race engine ID?

To: Spridget Chat Group <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Spridgets] BMC 948 race engine ID?
From: Steven Guterman <an5.sprite@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 16:13:24 -0400
List,

I am trying to get a better idea about the history of an engine I bought
years ago.  It is a purpose build BMC 948 race engine.  I bought it from
someone who claimed it was built for formula jr. racing.

The valve cover says "BMC" and has fine print noting the valve adjustment
should be 0.10".  Internally the parts are all different from a stock 948.
The crank has narrower bearing journals, the connecting rods are different.
The head came ported. The valve rockers are cast and no springs to keep the
rocker in place but sleeves on the shaft that supports the rockers. Pistons
are flat tops .060" over. I bought it in the 70's unused on a crate from a
someone who new very little about it.

Unfortunately, a shop that rebuilt it years ago, removed the engine sticker
so I do not have a number to go from.

Anybody have any idea how to ID it?  below are some links to pictures.

Thanks for any ideas or sources of information.

Steve

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/j1C9Up5ctDx8pH9OfWQWp_XQsBXC9S32L-PXMPTwIwE?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/AyXt9QUYgX2aBlKUvP6pgvXQsBXC9S32L-PXMPTwIwE?feat=directlink

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html