Re: [Spridgets] Roundabouts (was Royal Wedding)*

To: "Don Marshall" <donmarshall@nefcom.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Roundabouts (was Royal Wedding)*
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 11:59:52 -0500
I loved the round abouts in England when I lived there and hated the ones
Dave mentions at the Arc d'Triumph and the Roman Colosseum! Those two were
plenty scary as the little 2CVs and Fiat 500s would come barreling into them
full tilt using their horn as a brake pedal. It was like being attacked by a
swam of killer bees!!

Best round about story I have concerns a "traffic circle" in Washington DC.
A fellow service member bought a brand new Chrysler while stationed in
Madrid Spain even though he was warned repeatedly that a Spaniard would
almost certainly crash into it. In Spain it wasn't "if" you had an accident
but "when".  He made it all the way through a 3 year tour there without a
scratch, shipped the car back to the US, picked it up in Bayonne NJ and
drove down to DC where his new duty station would be at Andrews AFB. Just
outside of DC he started through the traffic circle and was T-boned right
then and there by a car with diplomatic plates on it. Yup, you guessed it.
The driver was from the Spanish Embassy!!

Cheers!!
Jim

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 10:11 AM, David Lieb <72spridget@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree that roundabouts can be wonderful. Grew up with them in Brazil
> and they worked well. I now live less than a mile from "Suicide
> Circle", the only roundabout in the Chicago area that sees much
> traffic. It is a bit of a disaster, partially because it is poorly
> designed and partially because no one knows what it is. Six entrances,
> four of which are dual lane, all of which have stop signs; two lanes
> around it, but not enough of a diameter to justify the inner lane. At
> any given moment, at least half of the entrances seem to be populated
> by people who have never seen one before. Yuck!
> David L

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Don't miss the BIG PARTY!!  Midget 50th Anniversary!
Elkhart Lake, WI  July 18-22, 2011
Info & Registration here:
http://www.sprite-midgetclub.org

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html