Re: [Spridgets] Re Re Renewable energy (off topic)

To: mntr3a@aol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Re Re Renewable energy (off topic)
From: Jim Johnson <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 May 2011 13:29:32 -0500
Here is a direct quote on Germany's energy usage....

Germany is one of the largest consumers of energy in the world. In 2009, it
consumed energy from the following
sources:<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Germany#cite_note-13>

   - Oil 34.6%
   - Bituminous coal 11.1%
   - Lignite 11.4%
   - Natural gas 21.7
   - Nuclear power 11.0%
   - Hydro- and wind power 1.5%
   - Others 9.0%

Looks to me like they are also deriving most of their energy from fossil
fuels Many of which they have to import.

I don't think it is a given that we have nuclear electricity. I just don't
think we need to strangle oil, coal and gas until we have something reliable
and plentiful enough to replace them. Let's make gradual changes rather than
changing horses in the middle of the stream.

Cheers!!
Jim

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 1:16 PM, Kurt Appley <kmappley@gmail.com> wrote:

> No time right now but just wanted to say that although foreign countries
> are
> reducing the magnitude of there waste they have'nt figuredout how to
> eliminate it and it is my understanding that the stuff they end up with is
> really nasty.
> The point i really wanted to make is that our heirs are going to hate us
> for
> the way we have handled all energy.
> As to renewables we all know nuclear has a cost that is not being assessed.
> We all know that carbon based fuels have a cost that is not being assessed.
> We don't know what that cost is exactly but why can't we take a stab at it
> and tax these energy forms. Its not like the federal gov does'nt need the
> money. And while were at it lets stop subsidizing big energy companies to
> keep energy cheap. I am forced to pay a certain amount of taxes that go
> towards these subsidies but if energy was higher priced I would have lots
> of
> options to avoid the cost.
> This, unfortunatly, won't happen and it appears nuclear will be our future.
> If the cost of power were higher you would be amazed at the power
> production
> that would come from independant producers. Take a look at what Germany has
> done and note that the country is booming while we are coasting at best.
>
> My .02
> Kurt.

Cheers!!
Jim Johnson
Don't miss the BIG PARTY!!  Midget 50th Anniversary!
Elkhart Lake, WI  July 18-22, 2011
Info & Registration here:
http://www.sprite-midgetclub.org

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html