Re: [Spridgets] 5-speed speedo drive question.

To: corvallis@peoplepc.com
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] 5-speed speedo drive question.
From: Peter Shull <pdx.pete@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 22:14:03 +0000 (UTC)
What I know: Paul A had the speedometer angle drives and cables for his Datsun
5-speed conversion kits made at:

Speedometer Service and Instrument Company
3551 NW Front Avenue
Portland OR 97210-1301
(503) 227-5567

For Morris Minors the conversion speedometer cable was modeled after those
found on FWD Datsun F10s.

What I do NOT know: The formula he used to derive the ratio at which the angle
drive was geared (he stamped this information on the body of the angle drives
he supplied ... 1:1 to 1, 1:3 to 1, etc.). The formula was derived from tire
size, etc., and the angle drive ration was made to correlate with information
that is in the fine print found at the bottom of a Smith or Jaeger Speedometer.
This allowed the use of the original speedo without having to change its
internal gearing. The finished product usually gave a good approximation of the
car's speed but was not precise, He considered this information proprietary and
I was not privy to it.

Pete

Previously, Bill M wrote:

Paul had some units when I bought his stuff but he had NO records about wherehe
had gotten them so I have no more- as far as I know Rivergate is the onlyplace
right now.I have referred a few of my friends to get the Rivergate units and
they arethe least expensive and best fitting units that I know about.
BillM

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive