Re: [Spridgets] Condensers

To: "spridgets_autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Condensers
From: Dave KK7SS <kk7ss@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2011 19:51:27 +0000 (UTC)
the function of the capacitor is to reduce the voltage spike caused the coils
induced hysteresis reaction as the points open and close.
The spark burns (and sometimes welds) the points.
You will continue to run with an open circuit capacitor but not with a short
circuited capacitor.
Moral? Carry a spare capacitor - it's cheap insurance <g>

--
Dave G  KK7SS
 Richland, WA

'59 Morris Minor 1000 - working on it :|
'65 Sprite - running :)
'76 Midget - co-owned with #4 Son :)
'06 Honda Civic Hybrid

----- "Tim Collins" <thcollin@mtu.edu> wrote:

> Question. When a capacitor fails won't our cars continue to run? (but
>
> the points erode at an accelerated rate) right or wrong?

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $12.75
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive
Forums: http://www.team.net/forums