Re: [Spridgets] Solid State Voltage Stabilizer

To: "'Tim Collins'" <thcollin@mtu.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Spridgets] Solid State Voltage Stabilizer
From: "Dean Hedin" <dlh2001@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 21:23:50 -0400
Sender: spridgets-bounces@autox.team.net
Projects are good.  Keep them coming.

Just an FYI,
My "self terminating solid state flasher" works pretty good.
Except...The ignition emf noise occasionally causes it to false
trigger.  This is no big deal, the turn signals do not blink
if the turn signal switch is in the center position, but the dash light
blinks.  It happens rarely (like when starting the car) so I'm leaving it as
is.

My electric fuel pump safety cut off circuit is not working for similar
reasons. This is the circuit that is suppose to look at the tach signal from
the ignition and shut off the fuel pump if the engine stops turning over.
Here again the ignition noise is causing trouble despite the fact that I
have a good emi filter on the circuits supply side.  I'll probably have
to put a regulator on it.  Right now it chatters the fuel pump relay when I
activate it.

Both the above circuits work perfectly on the bench. But the electrical
environment in the car is a totally different animal.  Something to keep in
mind.

I'd like to make a intermittent wiper circuit next.  I have a decent pull
switch / potentiometer that the stock bugeye wiper button will fit nicely.

FWIW, My gas gauge works as follows...
If the needle is pegged...I have gas.
If the needle starts to dance, I have less than a gallon left :)
I'm not sure they ever worked any better than this when they were new.
This is with a new Moss sender BTW.