Good story

To: "'team-thicko'" <team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Good story
From: "Mapes, Glenn" <gmapes@ball.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 09:55:52 -0600
Hello Fellow Thickos

I have a story that I know you guys are warped enough to appreciate.  I
have been driving a 1967 Sprite in races sponsored by Rocky Mountain
Vintage Racing - mostly in Colorado.  The car's paint scheme is two tone
- red and gray but with a definite difference.  The front and left
(driver's) side are painted red;  The rear and right side are painted
gray.  The idea is to cause confusion with other drivers (and corner
workers!).  Last weekend there was an event at 2nd Creek Raceway (in
Denver).  The green flag dropped to start the race.  For several laps
this red TR-4 was trying very hard to get around me.  Finally, he passed
me on the right (gray side) and as soon as he passed he pulled over and
pointed for me to pass.  Thinking this was very strange behavior, I
passed him and vowed  to make to harder for him to pass me next time.  A
lap or two later he dropped out with mechanical problems.  Later, in the
paddock, I overheard him talking about the race so I went over and
introduced myself.  I asked him what happened - why did he pull over,
etc.  His answer - he spent considerable effort in getting around this
gray sprite and once he did, he looked in his mirror and saw this red
car right behind him.  Knowing that the car he had just passed was gray
and this car was red, he concluded that the race leaders where lapping
him so he moved over and motioned them past - and then he realized that
"it was that bloody spridget!!!" that he had just passed.  We both had a
good laugh about his misconception.

Cheers
Glenn
#38 1967 sprite (camouflaged to look like two cars)