Re: The Bishop

To: Paul Fitzsimmons <fitzsmns@mwci.net>
Subject: Re: The Bishop
From: Bill Dalton <billd13@essex1.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 16:21:26 -0500
Paul Fitzsimmons wrote:

> Just remember, the most dangerous portion of a RA weekend is touring.
> Fitz
>
> "Wm. Severin Thompson" wrote:
>
> > All the talk on the Spridget list out naming your cars has prompted me to
> > try and dig out "the Bishop"...
> >
> > http://www.thicko.com/bishop.htm
> >
> > maybe get it ready in time for the VSCDA Vintage Fall Festival at Road
> > America, September 24-26.
> >
> >  http://www.vscda.org/sched.htm#sep
> >
> > When I had the Bishop out for its first race season in 32 years, it ran
> > flawlessly for 10 reace weekends... and only when I went to pull it on the
> > trailer after the Midwest Council Long Race Weekend in October, did it fail.
> > I hear a clattering sound, and the oil pressure died. I suspect that the oil
> > pump drive failed. If I remember right, when I rebuilt the motor, I used the
> > original pump, since the new one I'd purchased was real crap.
> >
> > Anyway, if all goes well, I hope to pull the motor, fix the pump, and
> > barring any unforseen problems (like that never happens) have that puppy up
> > at Elkhart.
> >
> > If you haven't seen the car, its really a time capsule example... and while
> > it may have been the fastest Bugeye at Wilmot, Meadowdale, and State Fair
> > park in 1961, it is way slow compared to the Red Rat Bastard. I think the
> > spec on the Stage V Tuning was 57hp vs. the stock 43hp...essentilly the sale
> > motor the Works ran in 59 at Sebring. The car did not run the disk brake
> > option... so adjustment of the drum brakes for racing is really critical.
> >
> > Since it has both seats in it, I invite you all (if I get it back on the
> > road) to come by Thicko Village for the track touring sessions and get a
> > ride.
> >
> > WST
> > Flounder
> > team Thicko
Since I normally go touring in the Boss or GT, and obviously have access
to all of the tech sheets, I have been asssisting in culling some of the
bad fish from the barrel. Anyone passing me or seen passing others at
inappropriate times and places does get reported and is either removed
from that session by the Operating Steward, or becomes the recipient of
a nasty letter from the powers that be, or is banned from future
touring.

Bill D