West Michigan GP Report

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: West Michigan GP Report
From: NeotoyRick@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 23:26:05 EDT
        A report from the streets of Grand Rapids
            by Rick “Doctor Dreadful” Gurolnick

Two Thickos opened a can of Whup Ass in the streets of Grand Rapids for the
West Michigan Grand Prix last weekend.   Rick Cook in the Anderson Special
(in the big bad ground poundin’ GTO class) and Rick Gurolnick in a 1960 356
Roadster (in the smaller bore GTU class) did you all proud.

The West Michigan Grand Prix is an SCCA Trans Am race run on a mile and a
half, thirteen turn course through the streets, over the river and around
downtown Grand Rapids.   There were also Spec Racers, Barber Dodge, World Cup
cars, Touring Cars, Motorcycles, and oh yes, 36 of our finest VSCDA vintage
racers.  What a unique event.  We had a great room at the Marriott Courtyard
literally overlooking the course.  We could watch from our room, walk
downstairs, get in the car and race.  The vintage support racing consisted of
Saturday morning practice, 1 pm qualifying, 4 pm 30 minute (20 lap) race and
a second 30 min race at 5pm on Sunday.

Saturday at 5:30am a caravan of rigs headed to our paddock which had just
been cleared by the Spec Racers who raced Friday night.  The sound of the
Beatles’ “I’m So Tired” wailed on the stereo in my Suburban as many racers
tossed and turned all night sharing the fear of not getting that 4:30 wake up
call and missing the precious spot in the paddock as if we were missing
graduation.  Man its gonna be a looooong day.  But it all worked out as we
set up and enjoyed a continental breakfast, getting ready for the first and
only practice.  A Thicko comrade from Seattle saw my Team sticker on the car
and came by to say, “Hi.”  He wasn't running vintage, in a World Cup car or
something.  I gave him one of our Thicko can coolers from Grattan and we
chatted while I got ready.

Street racing is not for everyone.  Yikes.  The first session (practice) I
came in shaking my head with a “Whaaa was that?” Zero run off and concrete
barriers on both sides (except for the stack of tires from time to time).  I
was sure I was gonna whack the wall a few times as I tried desperately to
warm up my tires, brakes and brain.  I wasn’t used to being that close to the
wall for a whole race.  Us racers get used to “looking down the road” so all
this concrete “in your face” took some getting used to.  Next time you’re at
Road America heading down to Turn Five (or some other top speed section with
a wall on the side) turn your head 90 degrees for a second and feel your
nervous system recoil with a “Holy crap am I going fast!” before you even see
the blur next to you.

But you get the hang of it.  Hey, we’re consenting adults and understand the
potential risk to sheet metal.  By race time you are used to it and ready to
race.  Sort of .

Boy you needed the right gears there.  I was coming off a short track weekend
at Grattan and thought all would be fine.  Wrong.  I ended up spending half
of the track bogged in first gear.  Yow.  The two long straights over the
river and back got up a little speed, but being city streets the corners were
mostly 90 degrees you couldn’t carry much speed around the corners without
risking scraping a wall or worse. And lots of guys did.  I felt bad for the
one who got T boned and could feel some of the frustration building.  A bunch
of racers took it in the shorts and either packed it up or pounded out the
sheet metal.  At that point I realized that, although listed on the VSCDA
calendar, this was not really a VSCDA event - it was an SCCA event and we
were “in the entertainment business.”  There was no Drivers Committee or
13/13 or end of the weekend for an incident.  You can hit anything or anyone
and keep racing.  Yikes.  It was narrow track and very hard to pass or safely
hold the line while being passed.

The qualifying went well - I was gridded 25th overall for the race and fifth
in GTU.  It was nice to see a familiar face in Team Thicko’s Bill Dalton
working the grid and pit lane.

The race starts were miserable.  All revved up and no where to go.  When you
are in two lines, even if you get a good run on the start there is next to
nowhere to pass or improve your position.  Just get in line for Turn One.

I would have to describe the race as “the fastest tip toeing I’ve ever done.”
 Getting closer and closer to the walls . . .  but not too close.

Finally I started getting my track reference points down and getting on the
gas earlier and earlier fighting the bog.

Joel Weinberger broke the stub axles running too much horsepower thru his
Lotus Elan.  I got past the 1940 style Volvo 544, Sam Cummings in the Trans
Am Alfa GTV and ended up second in class to Bernie Nevoral in his Lotus Super
7.  Whew, I made it.  In the 80 plus degree weather, this was one of the more
mentally grueling and physically demanding races.  But Grand Rapids and SCCA
were ready.  Incredible preparation and details.  They met us at the end of
track out with coolers full of towels dunked in ice water and bottled water.
Ahhh.  I couldn’t believe Al Petkus fought his Mustang through this course
with no power steering.

Then Part Two of the fun started:  we get ready for the “podium.”  And here
come the babes!  Two gorgeous women took either arm and led me to the stage.
Wow.  I suddenly became “Mr. Curious:”  “How do you girls get a gig like
this?”  “There was a modeling competition and we’re the top six finishers.
What do you think?”  To which I  could only reply, “What do I think?!  Are
you kidding?  I’m usually looking at a bunch of old fat guys racing old cars!
Are you kidding?”  Now I am not a fan of trophies for vintage racing as I
think it starts to get everybody a little bit too jacked and more often than
not someone over does it.  But this was part of (as the starter put it in the
Driver’s Meeting) being in the “entertainment business.”  The top three
finishers in each class got on the podium and received our trophies.  They
passed the microphone to each of us to say a few words for the crowd.  Now
those of you who know Bernie (who won) fondly know his verbal articulation to
consist of a lot of words that mostly start with the letter “F” or a phrase
with the letters “MF’er” and so on, so as the mic was passed to Bernie I
could just about feel the race organizers’ collective apertures tighten.
Here we are on all the local news, Speedvision (I think the replay is Sat,
Sept 11), buildings, parking garages and grandstands full of fans as Bernie
comments on how “It takes balls to drive a course like this.”  Everyone
cracked up.  Then another surprise, they take our trophies and hand us an
open bottle of champagne.  Bernie and I made like Villeneuve and Schumacher
and sprayed each other having a ball.

After that tough racing I felt like I lost about 10-15 pounds, but then
realized it wasn’t the workout or the heat - we we’re just missing the
Flounder’s and Team Thicko’s collective cooking.  Rick Cook and I attended,
with the rest of the VSCDA gang, what turned out to be a very nice dinner at
the “B.O.B” (Big Old Building - a rehabbed loft).  Night time in downtown
Grand Rapids was a very metropolitan atmosphere where you could walk the
track late at night (we did at 10 pm) and you are in the middle of a busy
downtown with roller bladers, bicycles, golf carts, pit bikes and lots of
people.  An amazing event.  Daytime there were lots of family things to do.
We took our 2 year old twins to the Children’s Museum on Friday and they had
a ball at the parks and rides set up at the track.  Not to mention watching
the races from the hotel room.  This gives me a chance to underscore another
reason why we keep coming back to VSCDA as the best vintage race group:  you
have the opportunity to go racing with your family.  There is stuff for
everyone to do and meet and have fun.  Bring the wife and kids! (or grand
kids!)

The race on Sunday went well with John Weinberger winning overall in his
Lotus 23B.   Rick Cook was blocked by a Corvette and got 4th overall which
meant 4th in GTO.   Rick Cook is a great guy to race with and shows that the
big block guys don’t have to race rudely as they blast by on a straight, cut
in front of you and slam on the brakes.  He is courteous, considerate and
passes safely.  I’ll race with him anywhere in any vehicle.  I got second to
Bernie Nevoral again in GTU.  What was an exciting race - and we raced our
hearts out - ended on a lousy note when one of those triplet orange Mustangs
(#13) just HAD to pass me on the cool down lap when I was waving to all the
great corner workers and fans.  Followed by a yellow #28 Camaro as if the
race is still on.  This is so pointless and unsafe to pass someone when the
race is over.  These guys are putting me at risk - and scared the crap out of
me - by cutting me off in a corner on the checker lap.  Just plain rude and
inconsiderate.  What does it prove?

Even though I was pissed about their inconsideration I didn’t want this to be
the impression I left with as this was a great time and, again, quite a
unique event for vintage racers.  Phil Cull and Judy Cull put in a ton of
time setting up, running and caring about this group.  Administering a VSCDA
event is like pulling off a wedding every couple of weeks. The number of
egos, maniacs and “special cases” (yes, everyone is a special case) to
balance is quite a feat.  Talk to anyone who participated in this weekend and
their eyes can’t help but light up a bit - its a very cool weekend.

See you all at Elkhart Lake and IRP.