Re: Vintage leaving RA in May

To: Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com
Subject: Re: Vintage leaving RA in May
From: Ernest Husmann <chusmann@execpc.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 19:44:33 -0600

Gregory_Schulz@mil-elect-tool.com wrote:

> Wideload:
> Since you already know RA is going to modify their course
> layout to include the optional 2.7 mile (FIM) short course...
> where are they going to lay the new asphalt for this? Heard
> anything yet?

The course has been/will be modified so that FIM will make a 90 degree left half
way between the bridge at 3A and the trees at 4.  From there it is a straight
shot
to just before the new Snap On bridge where FIM will run the course in reverse
(i.e., 8, 7, 6, 5) to the cross over at 5 where they will turn left on the
access
road and proceed until they rejoin the track at the access just past 13A and
then
proceed to 14.

> What pops into my mind (hey, it happens) is the trend of thinly
> manned corners at some vintage events... do you see the day
> coming where the Fall Vintage Festival would run the new 2.7
> mile short course due to "safety concerns" by the Stewards?

The stated intent is to use this modified layout only for FIM and no other
event.
I don't know if this applies to Skip Barber Schools also.

It is sad that F&C has seen a dramatic drop in participation at RA.  With the
aging
of the F&C staff coupled with the higher concrete, plentiful catch fence and
restricted responsibilities, there may come a time that RA becomes staffed with
"professional corner workers" which experience has shown becomes burdened with
inbreeding and fails to keep up with adequate training.

Attempts have been made to obtain modifications to the fencing (similar to M-O)
personally through the RA Safety team and Maintenance and I am informed also by
Milwaukee Region SCCA's Board of Directors, but these attempts have fallen on
deft
ears.  With the thinning of trees at the flagging stations, requests have been
made
for shade structures but the response has been these cause obstructions for
television.  All the improvements to RA have been done in the name of
spectators,
television and insurance for spectator events, which is another example that
money
talks.

You have recently seen SVRA go elsewhere reportedly due to higher track rental
demanded by RA and it may come to pass that the smaller clubs will not be able
afford the improvements to RA.  This would be a shame following the hard fought
revitalization of the facility.

Sorry for the soap box.

> Historically, that would be a sad thing.

Most definitely!!!!

Ernie "The Wide Load" Husmann