Grattan

To: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>,
Subject: Grattan
From: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 09:24:50 +1000
OK folks, I arrive in Chicago Friday night -- should I drive straight up to
Grattan?

Currently I have a hotel near O'Hare, but maybe that is a mistake.

According to Yahoo maps, O'Hare to Grattan is 216 miles and just over 4
hrs -- that
sound right? It has me going south of the lake (through Chicago, Gary etc --
I-94,
I-196 )

What time should I arrive?

So Flounder, is the enduro drive likely to happen? What is the deal on
paperwork?
In theory I am not allowed to compete in an overseas event unless it is an
event
on the FIA international calendar -- and I need to have an international FIA
licence.

I have had a H1 (International Historic licence) in the past to compete at
events
like the International Healey tribute race at Bathurst, but I have gone back
a national full race + rally licence in recent years.

Can I get a temp local licence? Do I (illegally?) compete on my Australian
licence?

I'd love to drive, but I don't really want to bring my
racesuit/helmet/gloves/boots
unless it is likely to happen.

I ask because paperwork is a really formal deal here, and licences involve
annual medicals, exercise ECG when you are over 40 (sigh), etc etc.

So what else do I need to bring (drive or no drive?) I could bring some
Aussie
beer, but given the number of people, and the allowable quantity I can
"import",
it may not be worthwhile. I'll certainly bring photos and the like.

cheers, Mike