Bonneville 2002

To: team-thicko@autox.team.net
Subject: Bonneville 2002
From: "craig bielat" <thickosehaskel@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 16:11:25 -0500
Hi All, Just in case you have not heard, I did back up my qualifing run in
the Besic Motorsports Alfa Romero G/BFMS ( 2000 c.c Blown Fuel Modified
Sporstcar)for a new record at this year's SCTA Bonnieville National Speed
Trials in Wendover UT. USA. 203.108 mph. This was a new class for sports
cars this year.
I went out for the first time this year with the engine rev limiter set at
7000 rpm and still turned a 188 mph speed. This was set up for up-coming
salt-flat racer, Bill Lightfoot, and was forgotten to be re-set. Oh well, I
knew what it was and had to live with it for the duration of the 7 mile run.
I needed the re-aquantince with salt flat racing, after a year from it it
The entire team worked hard to achevie the goal of getting the car to break
the 200 mph mark. Which Mike Besic did first. The engine was making 40 h.p.
over what it was from last year, thanks to Jim Steck, and most important ,
the car was very stable at speed due to Darren Besic's belly pan and other
additions. It was a very easy car to drive. I've been racing for quite a few
years now, and have had my moments, but in trailering the car back in the
tornado winds and rains of Nebraska at 2:00 a.m. was the most concerning.
Much more than going over 200 mph. I guess you had to be there. When the
speed limit signs are being torn off their posts and flying in front of you!
Get the picture? 200+ mph on a safe course, in a safe car is not a problem.
   27 hour tow and we're all back safe and sound. Craig Bielat