Red Arse and oiling the track

To: "Team-Thicko@Autox.Team.Net" <team-thicko@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Red Arse and oiling the track
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:24:20 -0500
During lunch at ELVF, I took Dr. Nancy out in touring in Red Arse, my soon
to be 2nd race car, set up mostly for bad weather and enduros. Currently, it
is sporting a very mild street gas race motor... 948, flat top pistons, a
factory 649 cam, a header, Weber 40, and a 296 casting 1098 head (breathes
well, but fairly large volume chambers, and not shaved, so it keeps it
running on pump gas). On the 2nd lap, it got all smokey and oily in the
cockpit. We pulled off the track, and got the flatbed ride back to Thicko
Village. Upon a quick look under the bonnet, there was oil everywhere. But,
it was running when the Exon Valdeez happened, so I had hope.

Finally got it off the trailer, and it was down about a quart. By the looks
of things at the track, all the oil should have escaped.

The motor spun freely, so I looked around, turning it over and discovered
oil coming from a failed filter to block gasket. Yee hah!!!. Dodged a bullet
on that one.

Anyone know it there's touring at Mid Ohio?

WST