RE: ummm... this would be cheatin'....

To: "'Ron Soave'" <soavero@yahoo.com>, <team-thicko@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: ummm... this would be cheatin'....
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 07:17:03 -0500
Dear Mr. CD Soave,

I'll bet my homes and all my cars that the motor in Redrum is indeed legal.

The motor you (and the machinist) referred to is indeed a cheater motor...
it's the motor that originally came in the Red Rat back in '93. The car had
been run mostly in Midwest Council, and I smoked #4 piston the first race I
did in it at Road America.

When I tore it apart and attempted to gather parts to rebuild it, I couldn't
make things fit... and only a call to the former owner revealed that he'd
dropped a 1098 crank in a 948 block. He called it a "Hillbilly Stroker".
That motor's been on a shelf for many years, and it's always been my
intention to use that motor again someday... in events such the BRIC at Road
America where the smallest class in 1200 or 1300. I think the way I have it
figured, using a 1098 crank and oversized pistons, it would be possible to
get something like 1147 cc out of a 948 block.

I've not run the BRIC since about 1996 when they track pissed me off with a
$250 weekend charge just for the "privilege" of parking my motorhome there
for the weekend. That didn't get you a water or electric hook up either.

I won an entry to the event at this year's banquet... so it is possible the
"Hillbilly Stroker" may again live in a WST racecar.

As I've said in the past, Mr. Soave... I'm always willing to take your car
around for a few hot laps.

Mr. Clean