Re: A day at the races

To: N197TR4@cs.com, nosimport@mailbag.com, refisk@chartermi.net
Subject: Re: A day at the races
From: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 23:12:45 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Joe,
What was confusing is that the driver's meeting said
you can start "racing" if a corner has dropped its
yellow (typically coming around the last turn).  This
is true and correct per SCCA, but with the size of our
field on Sunday and the geography of Road America, you
could conceivably have had guys up front seeing the
green, guys in the back seeing the yellow drop, and
people in between going 50 MPH.  I thought the starter
did a good job with the green, but the pace lap was
too fast too soon (we all managed to regroup well, but
I almost lost sight of the Elva in front of me and you
behind me). It was a fun race, although an Elva blew
by me at 100 MPH on the cooldown lap going into turn
5, as he didn't realize the checker had been thrown!

Regards,
Grasshopper

Ron Soave
"Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded." - Y. Berra