RE: Lug nut material?

To: "Ron Soave" <soavero@yahoo.com>, "Spridgets"
Subject: RE: Lug nut material?
From: "Bill Dalton" <bill@daltonstudios.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:38:17 -0600
In using the die on the studs, it never ran down hard, so I don't believe it
was actually cutting on the studs' threads, but rather was cleaning out the
left over fragments of the lug nut. Matter of fact the normal way was to put
the die in a socket and turn it by hand, once in a while maybe needing a
speed handle to get past a spot.

I don't laugh at 3/8 studs on Sprites, they don't have enough torque to
worry about. I do laugh at 7/16 OEM studs on the era's Corvettes. I can't
remember how many Corvettes I have dragged in on the hook who didn't change
the studs to 1/2" and lost a rear wheel.

I personally don't use the impact wrench on the points technique because I
never figured out how to get the impact wrench on without taking the
distributor out of the car, and that just made more work.

Bill