Re: Edelbrock Carbs

To: MR RAY MCCRARY <VUGQ02A@prodigy.com>
Subject: Re: Edelbrock Carbs
From: Steven Laifman <av342@lafn.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 1996 09:38:51 +0100
Ray,

Will you accept close enough"?  I just acquired my Tiger several months
ago, and parted with my '66 Mustang convertible.  The Mustang had a 289
to wihich I added a mild street cam, an Edelbrock "Performer" lo-rise 4
BBL intake manifold, and a 600 CFM Edelbrock carb with electric choke.
The model number of the manifold is 7121 (non-EGR).  The carb was 1406
(Non-Emission tune).  Ran like a charm. Smooth Idle, quick response, no
bogging, no flat spots.  This is a Carter carburettor that Edelbrock had
design modifications modified by Weber, with bead poliched outside.
The  Primary venturiis are smaller thatn the two barrel, giving good
ecenomy and low speed performance.  When you stand on them, the
secondaries are opened by a balanced flap that measures air flow.  The
higher the air flow required (more power) the further the secondaries
open, giving you the extra two venturiis.  All tuning is by jets and
springs, and a wide selection are available, but mine ran fine out of
the box.  There is only one accelerator pump, but if I hadn't told you,
you'd never know. The major advantage over Holleys is there is only 1
gasket in the carb, and it is horizontal and above the gas level.
Hollys hahave vertical gaskets that are wet by the gas and tend to
leak.  I've heard that "real" racers only use holleys, but I do know two
things.  The Edelbrocks were trouble free for over twenty thousand
miles, and REAL racers uses Webers.

Steve
--
Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >
B9472289              < important in your life    >

                         _/
                    _/_/_/