Re: Jim Barrett's Tiger Tails

To: JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
Subject: Re: Jim Barrett's Tiger Tails
From: gary_winblad@juno.com (Gary A Winblad)
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 1996 20:53:02 PST
On Thu, 12 Dec 96 17:48:04 -0700 JEFF_CARTER@HP-Cupertino-om5.om.hp.com
writes:
>     I'd say Hacksaw has been dethroned.  Norm?!....Are you still
>     breathin'!  Wow Jim, to bad you didn't buy the Alpine a few years
>ago.

Jeff has it right on!!   Norm,  I'm worried about you..   ;-)
Well, as the former "hacksaw", I concede defeat..

Jim,
Whaat a fantastic Tiger story, I love it!     :-)
About all I can add is some insight into solutions to the ackerman
steering problem, here is my humble opinion and interpretations:

1.  Lou Anderson designed some lower a-arm mounted rod-end
   idler gizmos and sold some kits in the late '70s.  These had much
   higher steering effort and they wore out in 10k street miles.  As of
   a couple of years ago I recall Norm still had a couple of kits for
sale.
   Also, you need to CUT your irreplaceable stock rack arms.
2.  Ken Mattice is using some MGB steering arms that are longer
   than Tiger arms meaning the effective rack location is more correct.
  Unfortunately, longer arms means slower steering, but Ken sells
  faster ratio rack and pinion gears.  Cost is not cheap.
3.  Tom Hall and Roby Guerra are working on burying a rack inside
  an Alpine crossmember.  Not done yet.
4.  I have a plan to use a Chevy Cavileer rear steer rack under the
  engine behind the wheels.  This will give me proper geometry,
  fast ratio power steering.  Not done yet because like your early
  days I need to learn things like how to weld!  I would like more
  info on your flat collectors as this is exactly what I need.  The
current
  plan (fall-back plan #1) is to use Mustang type rear exit manifolds
  and "open up" the firewall a little bit, but since I am working on an
  Alpine anyway it doesn't much matter...

Keep the modifications coming!   And keep us informed.

Gary "Hacksaw" Winblad