Re: Porsche/Tiger windows

To: Jay Laifman <jlaifman@pircher.com>
Subject: Re: Porsche/Tiger windows
From: Keith Bradshaw <bradshaw@utdallas.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 1997 11:31:59 -0600
Jay Laifman wrote:

> Just to through a different light on to the subject, Porsche went to
> electric windows years ago when they found that they were *lighter* than
> the mechanical window components!  So, if you want a faster Tiger,
> electric windows may be the last ounce you were looking for.
>
> Jay,

Someone had written that the Lotus Elans all had power windows.
Nope, I had one of the first and they had pullup windows you
pulled up with a tab on the top of the glass.  The window would
stay in position ususally even with vigorous driving.

The Elans with poweer windows had an external window frame that
probably added weight.

The Elans with the round tail lights had the non power windows.

I always thought of the power window Elans as bloated wallowing
road pigs with all that extra weight.

mBrad