Re: 10.7.51 of the CA. motor vehicle code

To: Vonski@aol.com
Subject: Re: 10.7.51 of the CA. motor vehicle code
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 21:31:39 -0400
Pray, spare us what some cop tells you the law may be.  An owner -- under
FEDERAL law, which over-rides state law on this point -- may remove a VIN
tag for the purposes of restoration.  Period.

In any event, when most of our cars, be they Alpines or Tigers, were built,
there were no 'VIN tags', which did not come into existence until 1st
January 1968.  This cannot be made retroactive without compensation under
the Due Process Clauses of both the California and Federal constitutions.
If they want to make your serial number plate become a VIN tag and regulate
it, they have to pay you first.  I've not been paid, nor have you, so they
don't regulate it.

Stolen vehicles are a different point.  My car isn't stolen.  I presume
none of us own stolen cars.  Let's keep the discussion on a rational plain,
please!

Marc

Marc James Small
Cha Robh Bas Fir, Gun Ghras Fir!