Re[2]: Driving on the Right/Wrong Side

To: wgoebner@pacbell.net, Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re[2]: Driving on the Right/Wrong Side
From: LeBrun@hii.hitachi.com
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 97 08:25:06 PST

Well, you see, that's the way they used the roads for the horses, then
the horse and carriages. That's because: If you look at the jousting
battles between the knights (English historical, not American movies)
the lance was carrried with the stronger right arm, which meant the
horse had to be on the left hand side during a pass. Now, knowing how
tradition rules history, you understand the English.

Now, explain the Japanese!

-Easy:

-The Brits have the dubious "honor" of helping the Japanese to the
greatest degree in their "Industrial Revolution" during the Meiji
Period; 1863-1912 (approx.) and the methods, means, etc. from British
industry were transferred over to the Japanese in total.

-Here at Hitachi, our Engineers and others not having any automotive
experience, especially with English cars, run up against the BPT
(British Pipe Tap [threads]) call-out in our fab drawings all the time.
This is a crossover from the British-imported machine-standards
prevalent throughout Japanese industry.

                                         Phil