Re: Tiger Gas Mileage

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tiger Gas Mileage
From: "Ron Franklin" <oldhaven@mail.biddeford.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 14:01:03 -0500
On 11 Jul 97 at 13:02, Brock C Tella wrote:

> My car is not stock now but I remember back in 1966 that it got 20mpg in
> town and mid 20 on highway. It was important cause I was a student with
> limited funds who gave up a VW .

In 1970, My Mk 1A got low to mid 20's both before and after fitting
headers, and was stock with original air cleaner, carb, manifold, etc.  I
also enjoyed the economy while finding the performance better than most
other things on the road except the muscle cars.    I got used to first
gear bog and had no clutch problems at all.  Sold the car after 100,000
plus miles without having had any major mechanical breakdowns or failures.
The engine still ran like new, since it had lived an easy life.
It got routine maintenance and little else during that 1970 to 1988 period,
and was my daily driver most of the time.  Rust and Virginia salt air,
Maine winters proved the worst thing wrong with it. These were and still
are great cars stock.

Ron Franklin

Bowdoin, Maine, USA