"Right" Side of the Road

To: Alpines@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Right" Side of the Road
From: Karl Gilchrist <xtr25618701@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:10:39 +1300
I was intrigued to read a recent post   I think on the Tiger List
commenting on the fact that most people in the world drive on the right
side of the road. Well-being one of the alleged minority that drive on
the left I thought it would be an interesting exercise to quantify
exactly how many there are of us.

 I haven't been to some of these countries but am told that they drive
on the left. So ones that I can think of are New Zealand (Population 3
million),Australia (13 million) Japan (128 million) South Africa (58
million) India (980 million) Great Britain (53 million) not to mention
lots of Africian States and I think lots of the Middle East. I guess
(with well over a billion of us) perhaps we are not as much a minority
as was first thought.

I was also very interested in Phils explaination of why us Anglophiles
stick to the left. I guess the extent of left drivers just reflects the
extent of the British empire. It has been said (but not by me)" that the
sun will never set on the British Empire as God would never trust an
Englishman in the dark." But they sure did produce fine cars!!!!

Karl