Re: starter solonoid

To: laifman@flash.net (Steve Laifman)
Subject: Re: starter solonoid
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 97 11:22:29 PDT
> Jim (and Stu),
>
> Although the ballast resistor may have disappeared along with the point
> type ignition, there is no connection between that circuit and the
> starter wiring. There are many after-market replacement solenoids for
>
> Steve

I disagree Steve.  These old Ford starter solenoids have a relay in them
to bypasses the ballast resistor during starting.  I discovered this
the hard way when I was having starting problems many years ago.  The
starter solenoid part worked fine, but the ballast bypass didn't, making
the car really hard to start.  Replacing the solenoid unit fixed the
problem.

Roland