Re: Block Casting

To: "Steve Laifman" <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Block Casting
From: "Erich Arndt" <earndt@popi.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 1998 18:25:00 -0600
Steve,

> The closest I can get is "D2AE-BA", an earlier engineering change used on
351W
> blocks in the '71-'74 time period. The bore was the standard 4.00 inches,
but
> the "deck height" was a hefty 9.503 inches, vs about 8.206 for a standard
> 221-302. Now that number applies to the '74 model. The '71-73 models were
> 9.480. Still Big, but fairly standard for the 351. The extra cubes in a
351
> come from stroke length, not bore, so the block is deeper, and therefore
> wider, and therefore won't fit very well between your fender wells, even
> though the heads bolt on (but the combustion chambers are bigger than the
289
> (most).

The one thing I can guarantee beyond a shadow of a doubt is that this isn't
a small block.  It doesn't look like any Windsor block or 289/302 I've ever
built.  It also doesn't resemble any "big block" (no puns intended) Ford
block I've ever seen.  My best guess was one of the 351-C/351-M/400
deriviatives.  Ideas?

Thanks,
     Erich Arndt

P.S. -- Yes, this is a second e-mail address.  I subscribed at home as well
as the business so I don't miss anything...