Re: steering 101

To: Bill Martin <bmartin@kibo.stanford.edu>
Subject: Re: steering 101
From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:53:37
Bill,

Thanks for this informative posting and for the acknowledgement. I agree
with everything you have said. I would like to look at Norm's pictures of
Doane's car myself sometime. You may confuse people a little by saying that
Doane "flip the rotors on the stub axel carrier". What I believe he did was
swap stub axle carriers and use the stock Alpine steering arms which point
rearwards  on an Alpine, but point forward (along with the calipers) when
the axles are swapped. Please correct me if I have this wrong because I
haven't seen the pictures and this is the only interpretation I could come
up with.

Best regards,

Bob

At 01:08 PM 1/29/98 -0800, you wrote:

> Larry and all,
>
> Let me first state that I am by no means the guru of steering!!!
>
> My research consisted of talking the ears off of Norm Miller and Dr
>Bob Palmer, as some of you know Bob is fast and his car is awesome. I
>picked their brains and read every book on the Tiger in print. Norm
>was kind enough to show me detailed pictures of the #55 cars front and
>rear suspension. (Norm has pictures of everything) I then picked up Mr
>Carrol Smiths books, Drive to win, Tune to Win, Build to Win, Engineer to
>Win. Needles to say I like to do a small amount of research before I do
>a modification. The above mentioned books will give any reader with an
>intrest a better understanding of how the suspension and steering work.

Yada, yada, yada. etc., etc.

>  Completely correcting the Ackerman to neutral cannot be done to a tiger
>front crossmember in stock form nor is it necessary or desired.
> Sorry about the length of this post. Hope it was of some help
>Bill Martin
>B9470735

Bob Palmer
UCSD, AMES Dept.