Re: New Tiger,"The overheating problem"

To: TigerCoupe@aol.com
Subject: Re: New Tiger,"The overheating problem"
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 19:56:54 -0700
At 10:13 PM 8/10/98 EDT, you wrote:
>In a message dated 98-08-10 21:13:52 EDT, Frank Bonifazi wrote:
>
>>  On days you describe (90+ degrees) I experience at least 195 deg. at
>>       above 40mph, and 210+ or so in town................
>>        I hit 230ish during a local British car rallye (lots of
>>       stops to read barn signs and mail boxes) recently during 100 deg
temp
>>       and pulled over under some shade for a 1/2 hr to cool down.
>
>Your temps sound perfectly normal to me, and I'd say most Tiger owners would
>be very happy with temps similar to yours.  As one recent post to this list
>(Tom Hall?) said something like, "If it doesn't boil over, it's not really
>hot."
>
>Dick Barker

Rule No. 1.     Never believe your gage's unless they have been calibrated.

Rule No. 2.     Unless you blow-down under operation (looses coolant as your
driving) your           probably NOT overheating.

Rule No. 3.     If you loose coolant after shutdown, you probably have a
pressure leak in                your system.  Likely the pressure cap.  Most
tigers will
run a 15 psi cap                without problems, but you may find that the
heater core
has expanded into               the walls or will fail if this is a "new" higher
pressure.  Fix the problems and                 run the higher pressure cap.

Rule No. 4.     If you run very hot in slow traffic, the most likely problem is
recirculation of                the air that has already passed thru the
radiator.  A
more effective pump             mounted fan (more CFM) can help, as can a
supplemental electric fan.  The                 real need is to close the
recirculation
paths around the radiator.

Rule No. 5.     Any pump mounted fan is only effective if it is surrounded by a
fan shroud.  If                 yours is missing, find or build one.

Tom