Re: cams and wheels and 50 inches and pictures and names

To: lrw@aop.com, tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: cams and wheels and 50 inches and pictures and names
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 00:22:25 EDT

<<  Consider swapping out the cam in that thing; I ignored a warning to do
 so
 >> and
 >> _sometimes_ regret it.
 >Why?

 It's a pretty aggressive cam (and, I suspect, a light flywheel, too).  The
 idle is so rough, the whole car shakes; it seems the car is stressed out
 (thus, so am I) just sitting there. >>
If your 302 came with a B303 installed, which I suspect is the case, I am very
surprised to hear your dissatisfaction. The B303 is not an overly aggressive
cam, being very close to a marine grind. This cam is meant to provide a very
fat, flat powerband from 1800-4800 rpm and is really all done by 5800. It
doesn't have tons of duration, so I'm not sure where your very rough idle is
coming from.
I run the same cam in my 302, and it just ticks over at 600-700rpm with a very
mild lope. Of course, I may be wrong in assuming you have the B303, but if it
is the cam installed by Ford SVO originally, that's what it should be.
Mike Wood
B382002273