Re: pain in the axle

To: "Scott Lampert" <netscott@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: pain in the axle
From: "Chris Richards" <richards@northcoast.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 19:04:45 -0500
Scott-
        I removed mine yesterday.  I was replacing my seals so I also had to
remove the hub.  What a "Bearcat"!!!   A slide hammer will pull the bearing
out of the axle housing if you have the four bolts removed. If you need to
remove the hub;   use a special hub puller.  The puller I used only pulled
on two of the four lugs.  Use the one that it shows in the manual if you
have access.  Be sure to put the axle nut on untill it is flush with the
end of the axle (put on with the castle to the inside).  This will keep the
axle's tip from expanding as the puller's center stud tightens inward.  Put
a good load on the puller (tighten it down tight but not enough to bend the
hub).  Next heat the hub, especially on the keyway aea, untill it shows
color (dull red).  Then hit the shaft of the puller with an good hammer.
If it doesn't give then let it cool about 10 minutes.  Encourage cooling of
the long end (inside) of the axle shaft with an wet rag.  After 10 minutes
or so, then hit the end shaft of the puller again.  If it won't give then
let the whole thing cool and start over.  I bent one of the four corners of
one of my hubs.  I was able to straighten it adequately with a followed
machining of the brake drum surface.  Sometimes the hub will "let loose" as
it cools without any extra blows.  I hope this helps and sorry it there are
any sublimital metephorical messages hidden in the text.

Chris in Trinidad