Re: Bell housing

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Bell housing
From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 10:49:23 EST
The transmission front bearing retainer is a Ford part.  I needed one for my
Tiger a few years back, and went to a transmission rebuild shop.  They had a
large carton in back full of various diameter of used front retainers, (yokes)
and charged me 5 bucks.  I checked carefully, and on this particular retainer
the inside (bearing face) had not been machined the same as the one that came
off of my original transmission, so I had to put it on a lathe and remove a
little material to clear the snap-ring.  Other than that, it fit fine and
worked for the last 100kmi. without a problem.  Don't forget when you change
the bell housing you may have to change the flywheel too, or the starter will
miss the ring gear entirely.  I learned that the hard way, after my engine was
back in the car. Arrrrgh.
Jim Leach,      Seattle
B9470908