Re: dumb question

To: geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net, rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dumb question
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 1999 07:53:55 -0700 (PDT)
>>Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 18:38:53 -0500
>>From: "James E. Pickard" <geowiz@www.worldnet.att.net>
>>Subject: dumb question
>>
>>How the h--- do you check the oil level in the gearbox?  Looks like you
>>have to drop the engine to check the oil!  I must be missing something
>>here.
>

>Date: Thu, 08 Apr 1999 17:57:32 -0700
>From: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
>Subject: Re: dumb question
>
>Jim,
>
>Toploaders I'm familiar with have a fill plug on the passenger (right)
>side of the case.  It is about a 1/2" pipe plug, just like the drain
>plug on the bottom.  It's probably a good idea to use Teflon tape or
>other type of thread seal when you replace it to keep oil from weeping
>past the threads.  Pick your choice of finger to inspect the fill level,
>taking into account the angle you may have your car at as a result of
>jacking it up.  You can fill it to the bottom of the fill hole.  If you
>haven't changed the oil for quite a while, and especially if it isn't
>synthetic, might I suggest draining and filling with Red Line or other
>top quality gear oil.  You will notice a difference it how easy it
>shifts, especially when it's cold.
>
>TTFN,
>
>Bob

About four years ago I changed the oils in my Cobra's diff, transmission
and steering rack to the equivalent Redline synthetics.  Within a few
months all developed serious leaks.  Even Redline doesn't recommend
using their synthetic oils in older cars with original or older seals
and gaskets.  Unfortunately I didn't find this out until after the fact.
I've heard two reasons why synthetic oils cause leaks in older cars.
One, that the synthetics are thinner and can seep past seal more easily,
or two that the detergent nature of synthetic oils cleans away the crud
that has been sealing in the older non synthetic oils.  Take your pick.

Yeah, I know this hasn't happened to everyone who has switched.  Maybe
you'll be lucky.  Then again, maybe you won't.  I wasn't.  My guess is
that if your transmission has relatively new seals and gaskets you'll
probably be okay, but personally I'm sticking with dyno gear oils from
now on.

Roland