Re: Speedo Cable

To: "Sobol, Perry" <PSobol@comdial.com>
Subject: Re: Speedo Cable
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:39:47 -0400
At 02:00 PM 4/14/99 -0400, you wrote:
>Tiger Fans,
>
>The cable I bought does not look like the one it is replacing.
>
>After disconnecting the old cable the only part that was left was a 1inch
>round fitting with what looks like a screw hole in the center still stuck in
>the transmission.
>
>The tranny is a HEH CF in a MKII.
>
>Thanks in advance for any help.

Perry,
        The one inch round fitting is the end of your old speedometer
cable.  When you remove it there will be a gear with 15 to 17 teeth
on the end.  The gear is held on to a shaft of the round fitting
with a half-round snap ring.  You should remove this gear from the
old cable and add it too the new cable.  The new cable should have the
one inch round fitting attached, else you have the wrong cable.
When my speedometer cable went bad due to melting on a header
pipe, I simply went to the local parts store.  They got the cable from
Ford.  It was exactly the correct length and everything fit.
I also had the HEH CF in my Mark II.  I am looking for the receipt
for the cable ( been several years) and if I find it I will send the
part number.
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others