RE: Tiger Stuff

To: Bob Palmer <rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu>
Subject: RE: Tiger Stuff
From: johnc@nait.ab.ca
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 18:38:11 GMT
Hi Bob:
Wow. Great reply to getting back to TIGER stuff.
1. The Accelerometer works by giving it an initial reading at dead level.
You plug it into the cig. lighter and then stick it to the windscreen. It
must be leveled by moving up and down until it reads oo.oo. This takes a
bit of doing but once it is ready it has its initial reading and then reads
GO. You can accelerate at any time after this and it gives you your 0-60
time. If you hit the brakes at this point it also gives you breaking
distance and de-acceleration. I did not do this test in consideration for
my tires. If you keep accelerating past 60 it will, at 1/4 mile, stop
counting and gives you the elapsed time and speed for the 1/4. It remembers
the times and distance until you re-set it for the next run. When you shift
you can actually see the amount of de-acceleration that happens and can
tell if the shift was as fast as the last time you tried. As I said it was
addictive. All tests were of course carried out on a closed track with a
professional driver and were NOT performed on a deserted public hi-way
halfway between Saskatchewan River Crossing and Jasper Park.

2. You are right about the SROD and gearing. Every gear/ratio combination
has its give and take. We run our TIGER long and hard. We have a 70 mile
per hour speed limit (110 KPM) on freeways but the traffic moves at about
75+. The mountains are 4 hours away, Calgary is 3 hrs and Vancouver 12
(lower speed limit in BC). With the close-ratio I burned clutches on the
take off and buzzed the engine on the hi-way. The SROD has a lower first,
second is about right but the step to 3rd (1:1) is too tall. I love the 30%
on the freeway were we run mostly at about 2500 RPM. I spend more time on
the long distance runs than at the stop light drag strip so the over-drive
meets the use I have for the car.
I would however be willing to live with 15% more RPM on the long runs for a
direct and proportional 15% increase in torque in every gear by going to a
15% lower (numerical higher) gear.  The math on what the gear ratio should
be to achieve this has escaped me (or perhaps I never had it)

3. Manifold: I made a mistake in my first posting. I stated that I had a
Torquer manifold but have a Performer Manifold. I bought about 6 different
carb manifold combinations when I put the car together and still get the
names and numbers mixed. Besides it is Friday and I have brain mush. The
one I used is duel plane.

4. My times are pretty modest. I think that several things come into play:
The closed test track was located at high altitudes; the vacuum secondarys
seem to be hardly opening up; the 2:88 is too tall and I am running 302
heads. The heads seemed to be a good idea when I built the engine - lower
compression for the poorer gas, hardened seats, cheap, and available but I
think that this is one of the things that I should redo.

Someone sent me an e-mail asking if there were any tech sessions that I
could do for SUNNI and I replied that I could to one on the SROD
installation. How to do it and then take a test drive to see if you like
it. Never hear back from them but the offer still stands.

Godspeed
Jc