Re: One Big Club?

To: rande@thecia.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: One Big Club?
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 May 1999 00:39:54 EDT
In a message dated 4/30/99 4:45:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, rande@thecia.net
writes:

<< And take it from this bi-coastal boy; I meet with fellow TEAE folks, and
 they distrust the westerners. I meet with the CAT / STOA herd and they
 want to be at arms length from this "Easterner".  As Rodney King said,
 why can't we all along together? I don't personally know, but I know
 there won't be a umbrella club for U.S. Rootes people anytime soon.

 So, a little more respect for the hardworking newsletter editors is in
 order. And., feel free to contribute stories and pictures. And, if you
 think something needs a little more urgency than a monthly newsletter
 can provide, post it here. >>

Rande-
I just thought I would jump in after your post and throw in my 2 cents.
First, I guess it is almost refreshing to see a good, old flame war on the
list. For a while I thought the blatant individualism of the generic Tiger
owner had been moderated to "kinder, gentler" status...:-)
Second, I firmly support the establishment of a national club. As a member of
the Shelby club I often look to their example when it comes to building a
successful marque related organization. In their model, SAAC oversees the
whole shooting match and the various regional chapters do their own thing,
for the most part. There is no reason why the same type of  "umbrella" club,
overseeing Tiger activity at a macro level couldn't be done...except for the
fact that the Tiger is much more of a "cult" item which doesn't have the
mystique or pedigree to support the financial undertaking such an
infrastructure would incur. But, if the financial pieces could be put in
place, I am sure members of CAT, STOA, TE/AE etc. would gladly join.
I think the question all of us have to ask ourselves include what we want
from a sports car club, how we envision the Tiger and its place in auto
history, and what is ultimately going to promote both our enjoyment and the
Tiger's following. When looked at in this context, a national club is the
only thing that makes sense.
Third, I support your statement about appreciating the hard work which
newsletter editors pour into getting to press each month. When I was
President of STOA a few years back, I was involved first hand in "Tiger
Tracks", contributing a monthly "state of the club" piece as well as a number
of monthly lead stories and I know how time consuming and stressful the
editor's responsibility becomes. Unless the omission of information was
purposeful in the most recent CAT newsletter, I think we should err on the
side of leniency!
Mike Wood
B382002273