Re: Re-built Hydraulics

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re-built Hydraulics
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 07:37:48 -0700 (PDT)
>Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 10:33:15 -0700
>From: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
>Subject: Re: Re-built Hydraulics
>
>Frank,
>
>In my opinion, since the purpose is to remove moisture and dirt, and
>hydraulic fluid LOVES moisture, a flush 'till
>clear, and then some more, ought to be more than adequate.  There are
>these new bleeder screws with built in check valves, that allow you to
>bleed you brakes without locking/unlocking those screw with every pump.
>They are about $10/pair.  You need two for the front discs, one for the
>rear, and one for the clutch.
>
>Steve Laifman         < Find out what is most     >

When I flush my brake and clutch systems I start by withdrawing all of
the fluid from the reservoirs with one of those chemical squeeze
bottles.  Then I push all of the caliper pistons in until they bottom
out in their bore and withdraw the additional fluid that gets pushed
into to reservoirs.  Next I take the left over fluid from those
previously opened container you are supposed to throw out and rinse the
reservoirs with it.  Once that fluid is removed I open a fresh container
and start flushing it through.  This minimizes the amount of old fluid
that get pushed through the system.

BTW, before buying those special check-valve bleeders, make sure they
will work.  When I rebuilt my brakes I thought I could save a few bucks
by buying generic bleeders from a local Brit car parts place.  Turns out
that they were so short that when the calipers were bolted to the disks
I couldn't access them.  I ended buying the expensive special OEM type
anyway.

Roland