Re: caliper rebuild

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: caliper rebuild
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 07:56:42 -0700 (PDT)
>From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
>Subject: Re: brakes...
>
>     Install the new "O" rings, lubed with brake fluid or red rubber grease.

I would be very leery of using the red rubber grease supplied in rebuild
kits for this purpose.  This grease is for preserving external rubber
dust covers.  I don't know what's in it, but I wouldn't put it on any
internal parts in my brake or clutch system.  To be safe stick with
brake fluid.

>Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 01:26:13 EDT
>From: TIGEROOTES@aol.com
>Subject: caliper rebuild
>
>Colin,
>    If you split the calipers (I always do) you will find that the kits do
>not have the flat ring seal needed to put them back together!  I have them if
>you need them.
>Jim Leach,  Seattle

Dave Bean Engineering also sells these seals.  Make sure you use the
correct flat seals Jim describes, not regular round O-ring seals as was
once sold to me by a parts supplier who should have known better.
BTW, splitting the calipers in not a big deal and makes working on
them a LOT easier.

The Roadster Factory has the little brake pad pin clips.  I think
they are available from a number of other sources as well.  In fact, I
think I even recall seeing them at a hardware store once.

Roland