RE: Cooling problem (non tiger)

To: "'Chris Vaught'" <CVaught@hawaii.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Cooling problem (non tiger)
From: Theo Smit <tsmit@isotel.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 08:35:38 -0600
Hi Chris,

I'm no Chevy expert, but I can tell you that running without a thermostat
will get you into trouble. The water pump needs some flow restriction
downstream to operate properly, and you also don't want to run the water
through the rad too fast. You should be running some kind of glycol coolant
mixture (or add "water wetter" to your water) to improve the heat transfer
from the engine.
As for your hose collapsing: Did Chevy do the same thing as Ford and make
reverse-rotation water pumps for serpentine-belt engines? This might be a
thing worth checking out. Another way this could happen is if you vented a
bunch of water (in the form of steam), either through the rad cap or into
the cylinders (any white smoke while all this was happening?). Then when
things cool down, the steam in the cooling system condenses, and the
pressure in the system drops until the rad cap vents air back into the
cooling system. If you have a bad cap then the pressure could drop enough
to collapse the hose.

Theo